|Learn to Write
English Clearly and Correctly
Set 4 - Lesson 19 - Answer Key
Return to Lesson 19
Exercise A: Make these nouns possessive.
|1. geese's||2. lion's||3. wolves'||4. kangaroo's||5. men's|
Exercise B: Make these items plural.
|1. 24's||2. if's||3. &'s||4. 1800's||5. CEO's|
Exercise C: Punctuate these sentences.
1. I remember how beautiful the stars were ( was it only last night?) when we walked along the shore.
2. Ebay - one of the largest on-line auction sites - is very well organized.
3. Pickles, hot dogs, rolls, mustard - we'll need all of them for the picnic.
4. Everywhere we went, people ( at least the ones who noticed ) told us we looked so happy.
5. There are a few things you need to be sure of: (1) Have the reservations been confirmed? (2) Do you have the travelers checks? (3) Is the luggage all here?
6. When I traveled to Italy, I went to the bank and got six million lira ($845) so I could go shopping.
7. "Four score and seven  years ago, our fathers brought forth ...."
8. Charles finished painting the window frames (the last ones, he hoped) and started to clean up the mess.
Examination: Punctuate all.
1. "It's very clear," said the editor, "that there are too many but's and commas in that sentence."
2. The painter, Gregory, will show his works in Baltimore, Maryland, on Tuesday, March 18.
3. However you can accomplish it, be here by the end of the week.
4. However, it would be nice if you got here earlier.
5. Joe Smith - he's your cousin, isn't he? - telephoned this morning.
6. "Did the agency ruin its reputation?" he wondered.
7. The cattlemen's ass'n was founded in the late 1890's.
8. We will send the two thousand dollar ($2,000) deposit by the fastest means.
9. Hurry! Take the parcel to the following address: 4043 Cimaron Blvd., Boulder, CO.
10. Yes, the dedication will be played on Station WABC at 11:15.
|c. 2010, Mikie Metric Productions, Williamsport, PA 17701||
To contact us, copy and paste the following address in the 'To:' space of your e-mail program:
Hundreds of My Favorite Songs from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.
Get links to the videos of the songs and lyrics, Wikipedia biographies of the artists, and Then and Now photos.
Practice reading English with Lyrics from the songs and histories of the singers and bands at www.mikiemetric.com .