Return to the Say-it-in-English entry page.
In the Bedroom
|Return to English for Everyday Living home page.|
Bedrooms are used for sleeping, for recovering from illnesses, for storing clothing and for changing clothes. Some children have desks in their bedrooms for doing their school work. They also store their toys and books in their bedrooms. Many homes have a Master Bathroom connected to the Master Bedroom, for the use of the parents or adults in a home.
|Fred is making his bed. This means arranging the linen neatly.||A woman's shirt is usually called a blouse.||This is a woman's undergarment called a bra or a brassiere.||Girls and women wear bracelets around their wrists.||This is a pair of ear rings, even though they are not rings.|
Expressions used in the bedroom:
| <----- Bed with bedspread and teddy
Chest of drawers with six drawers ----->
|Both boys and girls carry their school books in backpacks.||Pants like these made of denim are called jeans or blue jeans.||Many women wear high-heeled shoes.||Women sometimes put on lipstick to color their lips.||Bikini panties like these are worn by girls or young women.|
Exercise A, Verbs used in the bedroom: Write a meaning for each verb that has to do with an activity that takes place in a bedroom, then use that word in a sentence. (Example: change = put something else in place of the original item. "Jim changed his shoes when he came home from work.") You may print out this lesson from the web page or order it free via e-mail.
|Verb||Meaning||Used in a sentence|
|make, makes, made, making, made|
|change, changes, changed, changing, changed|
|sleep, sleeps, slept, sleeping, slept|
|lie, lies, lay, lying, lain|
|hang, hangs, hung, hanging, hung|
|fold, folds, folded, -folding, -folded|
|store, stores, -stored, storing, stored|
|pick up, picks up, picked up, picking up, picked up|
|take off, takes off, took off, taking off, took off|
|put on, puts on, put on, putting on, put on|
|tie, ties, -tied, tying, tied|
|wake, wakes, waked (woke), waking, waked (woken)|
|Men's pants are also called slacks or trousers.||Many people wear sandals in the summer.||This is a skirt. Women wear them with a blouse or sweater.||This is a pair of men's dress shoes.||This is a man's long-sleeved shirt.|
Exercise B, Nouns found in a bedroom: After each noun, write a meaning that could be found in a bedroom.
|chest of drawers||blanket|
|cedar chest||night stand|
|toy box (chest)||desk|
|jeans (blue jeans)||belt|
|Some bedrooms have a nightstand beside the bed.||This is a single bed with a head board and a foot board.||The girls are sitting on the twin beds.||Ruth is looking in the vanity mirror to put on her lipstick.||Zippers are used to close pants, skirts or dresses.|
|Two children can sleep in a bunk bed like this.||Many girls would love to sleep in a canopy bed.||This is one type of alarm clock.||This is a dresser with a mirror.||This is an innerspring mattress.|
Exercise C: Use words from the Noun list to fill the blanks in the following sentences.
1. When he came home from the office, Mr. Anthony took off his ____________ and his __________ and hung them in the ___________.
2. Jane put on a pair of ____________ and a pair of ___________ to go jogging.
3. When two children share the same bedroom, they often sleep on ______________.
4. I like to sleep with two ____________ under my head and a ___________ and ___________ over my body.
5. Most boys wear a ____________ and a pair of_______________ to school.
6. Most men use a ___________ to hold their _____________ up.
7. Women use ______________ made of wood, metal or plastic to hang their ___________ and _____________ in the _______________.
8. When you change a bed, you should put on clean _____________ and ____________.
9. Some people hang their clothes in a ______________ if there is not enough room in the ___________.
10. Children do their school work on a ____________ and keep their toys in a _____________.
1. suit (sport coat, slacks, trousers), neck tie, closet
2. shorts, sneakers (running shoes)
3. bunk beds (twin beds)
4. pillows, sheet, blanket (comforter, bed spread)
5. shirt, pants (shoes, sneakers, socks, other possibilities)
6. belt, pants (slacks, trousers)
7. coat hangers (clothes hangers), skirts, blouses (dresses), closet
8. sheets, pillow cases
9. wardrobe, closet
10. desk, toy box (toy chest)
c. 2000 - 2017 Montoursville, PA 17754
|Favorite songs from the 1950's to the 1980's - links to videos, lyrics, bios of musicians.|
Return to the top of the page.